World

Nevada declares state of emergency as Hawk Fire forces mass evacuations

Governor Joe Lombardo mobilised the National Guard and declared a state of emergency in Washoe County after the wildfire expanded to over 4,450 hectares, displacing nearly 14,000 residents.

Editorial persona
Adrian Cole
Political Correspondent
Published
Draft
Source: Al Jazeera Global News · View original source
Thousands displaced as wildfire threatens homes in US state of Nevada
US Politics

The Hawk Fire, which originated near the Hawk Meadow Trail in the Sierra Nevada foothills, has expanded to more than 4,450 hectares, prompting a state of emergency declaration by Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo. The blaze, which began on Saturday, was driven by strong winds, low humidity, and dry vegetation, according to Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue, the specialised professional fire and rescue agency in Washoe County.

By Sunday, the rapid growth of the fire had forced the evacuation of nearly 14,000 homes and businesses. The "GO NOW" emergency evacuation zone, indicating an imminent threat, reached the edge of the University of Nevada, Reno campus, where approximately 24,000 students were enrolled in the previous academic year. University officials have established an emergency response plan should conditions change.

In response to the escalating situation, Governor Lombardo mobilised the Nevada National Guard to support aerial firefighting efforts. The deployment included two helicopter crews and 60 troops tasked with helping police safeguard evacuated neighbourhoods. Approximately 400 personnel from local, state, and federal agencies are currently working on the incident, utilising both ground crews and air resources.

Infrastructure and community support systems have been activated to manage the displacement. The Reno-Sparks Convention Center has been opened to evacuees, although pets must be left at separate designated locations. Local casinos in Reno have also offered discounted hotel rooms to displaced residents. As of Sunday, nearly 10,000 homes and businesses in Washoe County were without power, while commercial flights at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport remained unaffected.

Richard Edwards, chief of Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue, described the incident as dynamic due to wind-driven behaviour. He urged residents told to evacuate not to wait, noting that structures had already been burned in the fire. Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve emphasised that evacuating before the fire arrived allowed firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze, stating that life was more important than a building.

The incident highlights the pressure on local emergency services and infrastructure in a region with a population of more than 280,000. While the exact number of displaced residents may fluctuate as the situation evolves, the declaration of a state of emergency is expected to remain in effect until the immediate threat to residential areas is deemed under control.

Continue reading

More from World

Read next: Trump has run out of options in Iran war, says Harvard professor
Read next: North Kordofan displacement: Families seek refuge in El Obeid
Read next: Eight dead as Tunisian vessel sinks en route to Italy