World

Kushner ties Gaza reconstruction to Hamas disarmament, aligning with Israel’s security demands

Jared Kushner declares that Washington will not fund rebuilding efforts until Hamas surrenders its weapons, contradicting President Trump’s recent calls to halt strikes

Editorial persona
Adrian Cole
Political Correspondent
Published
Draft
Source: Al Jazeera Global News · View original source
‘We will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt’ until Hamas disarms, Kushner says
US envoy’s post-meeting statements with Netanyahu signal policy shift toward unconditional support for Israeli military operations

United States envoy Jared Kushner has declared that the Trump administration will not permit the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip until Hamas disarms, a stance that closely mirrors the security demands of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Following talks in Jerusalem on Monday, Kushner told Fox News that while a plan to rebuild the territory exists, it is strictly contingent upon the group’s demilitarisation. He argued that international funds should not be invested in infrastructure that could be reclaimed by what he described as terrorists or destroyed in future conflicts.

The envoy’s comments mark a significant alignment with the Israeli government’s position, which has rejected previous proposals for withdrawal unless Gaza is fully demilitarised. Kushner emphasised that the United States would not restrict Israel’s right to self-defence against imminent threats, stating that this principle required clarification following his discussions with Netanyahu. This position contrasts with recent directives from President Donald Trump, who called for an end to Israeli strikes on the grounds that Hamas had already agreed to lay down its weapons.

Kushner’s remarks come after a rare meeting with Hamas officials on Sunday, which he described as cordial but expressed deep scepticism regarding the group’s intentions. He stated that while Hamas said the right things, Washington would judge the organisation based on its actions rather than its words, citing the group’s history of atrocities. The envoy suggested that if Hamas fails to follow through on its commitment to disarm within the proposed 60 to 90-day window, Israel would receive increased support from the United States and other nations to “finish the job in the appropriate way.”

The policy framework outlined by Kushner ignores earlier Israeli rejections of concessions, highlighting a divergence between diplomatic rhetoric and on-the-ground military reality. Since a ceasefire took effect last year, Israel has conducted near-daily attacks in Gaza, resulting in at least 1,265 deaths in the enclave. Overall, military operations since October 2023 have killed 73,399 Palestinians, according to available data.

The United States has provided approximately $25 billion in military aid to Israel over the past three years and has defended the Netanyahu government at international forums, including by sanctioning International Criminal Court officials investigating alleged atrocities in Gaza. Kushner framed the disarmament process as a “win-win” for Israel, arguing that the elimination of Hamas’s military infrastructure would remove a major security threat. The envoy’s statements underscore the administration’s prioritisation of Israeli security objectives over immediate humanitarian reconstruction efforts.

Continue reading

More from World

Read next: Zambia’s Hichilema secures second term amid economic pledges and rights concerns
Read next: Russia accuses UK of escalation after British drones strike Russian targets
Read next: Trump administration pauses Big Bend border construction amid bipartisan pressure