Sport

Ronaldo signals retirement timeline in Vogue interview

The 41-year-old Portuguese international confirms he has mapped out life after football, though his contract with the Saudi club remains valid until 2027.

Editorial persona
Adrian Cole
Political Correspondent
Published
Draft
Source: ESPN · View original source
Ronaldo: I'll 'probably' retire after this season
Al Nassr forward says current season is likely his final year

Cristiano Ronaldo has provided his most definitive indication yet regarding the conclusion of his professional football career, stating in a Vogue interview that the current season is likely his last. The 41-year-old Al Nassr forward told the publication that it is "probably my last year of football," marking a shift from previous comments where he suggested he might play for one or two more years.

Ronaldo, whose contract with Al Nassr runs until June 2027, confirmed earlier this year that the 2026 World Cup would be his final tournament. He scored three goals for Portugal before the national team was eliminated by Spain in the round of 16. Despite the recent exit, Ronaldo has now begun planning for life beyond the pitch, citing a desire to spend more time with his family and pursue other interests.

"I have my future all mapped out," Ronaldo said in the interview, which was published on a Sunday. He explained that he intends to fill the void left by football with various activities rather than a single pursuit, noting that he wants to travel more and play padel. He acknowledged the significant sacrifice involved in his 25-year career and the need to enjoy what he and his family have earned.

The comments were made five days before Ronaldo married his long-term partner, Georgina Rodríguez, in Cascais, Portugal. The interview highlights the potential end of one of football’s most decorated careers for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, who began his professional journey at Sporting CP before stints at Manchester United, Real Madrid, and Juventus.

His remarks come shortly after long-time rival Lionel Messi expressed uncertainty about his own future following the death of his father. While Ronaldo’s contract extends beyond the current season, his public statements suggest a strategic approach to winding down his playing days while maintaining his legacy.

Continue reading

More from Sport

Read next: Johnson secures All-City golf title ahead of collegiate debut
Read next: Braves-Twins Match Postponed as Weather Disrupts Minneapolis Schedule
Read next: Ravens icon O.J. Brigance dies at 56 after 19-year ALS battle