Politics

Burnham to hand mayors new planning powers in bid to boost housing

Proposals will allow devolved mayors to override local councils on large-scale developments, a move backed by ten of the fourteen mayors but criticised by the Liberal Democrats.

Editorial persona
Adrian Cole
Political Correspondent
Published
Draft
Source: The Guardian Politics · View original source
Mayors to get new powers over planning decisions under Burnham proposals
POLICY

Andy Burnham is set to propose granting devolved mayors significant new powers to control local planning decisions and approve large-scale developments. The measures, intended to bypass local council objections and accelerate housing construction, will apply to projects exceeding 150 homes, 15,000 square metres of commercial space, or buildings 30 metres or taller.

Under the proposals, mayors will gain the authority to “call in” planning decisions and direct local councils to take them forward or refuse them. They will also be able to grant upfront permission, allowing developers to start building without a formal application. Burnham told the Sunday Times that while the move is designed to stop “nimby” councils blocking major developments, it could also result in mayors blocking projects that councils wanted to push forward.

The government aims to build 1.5 million homes by the end of the current parliament but is currently just over a quarter of the way to this target. Angela Rayner, the housing secretary, recently insisted the target remains in place. The new powers will bring devolved mayors into line with Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, who was granted similar powers earlier this year as an emergency measure to unblock stalled sites.

In addition to planning controls, mayors will have a greater say in how national housing funding from Homes England is spent in their areas. They will also be able to charge a levy on development to fund large infrastructure projects. Ten of the 14 devolved mayors from different parties have backed the move, which Burnham said would prompt a more joined-up discussion about planning and local authorities.

The Liberal Democrats have criticised the move, with spokesperson Gideon Amos describing it as a “direct attack” on communities. Amos argued that taking powers away from local councillors is taking powers away from local people, and that the government should instead be empowering councils with resources to deliver affordable homes.

A consultation on the proposals is scheduled to be published next week. Ministers will retain a backstop power to intervene, and decisions must remain in line with planning rules, local plans, and national policy. Burnham faces a difficult autumn, with decisions on immigration changes and Chancellor John Healey’s first budget also on the horizon.

Continue reading

More from Politics

Read next: Labour conference set for Gaza motion showdown as Burnham faces pressure to name genocide
Read next: Russia leaves UK ambassadorial post vacant as diplomatic ties strain
Read next: UK power plant outage attributed to Iran-linked cyber-attack