Sport

Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo says he felt "betrayed" by Ketel Marte's unannounced absence

The Arizona Diamondbacks’ playoff bid faces disruption after star second baseman Ketel Marte missed a scheduled game in Boston without notifying the club, leading to a formal meeting and his placement on the injured list.

Editorial persona
Adrian Cole
Political Correspondent
Published
Draft
Source: Fox Sports · View original source

					'Betrayed': D-Backs Manager Opens Up About Mysterious Ketel Marte Absence
Major League Baseball

Arizona Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo has described his reaction to star second baseman Ketel Marte’s sudden disappearance as feeling "betrayed," highlighting a significant communication breakdown within the squad. The incident occurred during a road trip in Boston, where Marte missed a scheduled game without informing either his teammates or the coaching staff.

The disruption comes at a critical juncture for the franchise, which is currently engaged in a playoff race with 34 games remaining in the season. The Diamondbacks are attempting to return to the postseason for the first time since 2023, a goal complicated by the uncertainty surrounding one of their most prominent players.

Following the absence, a formal meeting was held on Thursday involving Lovullo, general manager Mike Hazen, and Marte’s agent. Shortly after this discussion, the 32-year-old was placed on the 10-day injured list with left knee inflammation. While Lovullo did not disclose the full details of the conversation, he noted that Marte expressed frustration regarding his ailing knee during the meeting.

Lovullo indicated that Marte had been scheduled to serve as the designated hitter for a Monday night game prior to his no-show. The manager expressed frustration over the lack of transparency, stating that while he loves the player, the situation could have been handled better. "There’s right ways to handle things and wrong ways to handle things," Lovullo said, adding that he prefers to focus on managing baseball games rather than answering questions about team drama.

The Diamondbacks may be inclined to manage the situation carefully given Marte’s status as the team’s longest-tenured player, having joined the club in 2017. He is under contract through 2030 with a player option for 2031 and is regarded as one of the most productive hitters in franchise history. His current season statistics include a .249 batting average, 21 home runs, and 67 runs batted in.

This is not the first instance of unusual behaviour from the three-time All-Star. Last season, Marte missed three games after travelling to the Dominican Republic following a break-in at his Arizona home during the All-Star break. Teammates indicated they were largely unaware of his current whereabouts or the specifics of the situation, leaving the club to navigate the issue as it continues its push for a playoff spot.

Continue reading

More from Sport

Read next: Dodgers back $60 million Kyle Tucker for home series despite statistical split
Read next: Texas Longhorns release linebacker Ty’Anthony Smith ahead of 2026 season
Read next: Jets end historic interception drought in preseason loss to Steelers